Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Writing For The Market

Let's face it: All aspiring authors want to be successful. There is nothing wrong with that. However, I've recently seen an increase in authors who have decided to write in particular genres, not because they enjoy them or have a great new idea but due to the fact the genre sells. While this is totally up to the individual, I wanted to address how writing for the market can sometimes be a devil in disguise.

I've found that the books I've created that are most popular are the ones that come from the heart. These are stories that don't fit a mold but have to be told. I'll sit down, hammer the story out, and when I'm done I have a odd sense of accomplishment. However, I have written stories in the past that were a part of an anthology. Although I wrote the material, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the result. Why? Because it wasn't organic. Due to this I decided it wasn't in my best interest to dip my toes in anthology waters in the future unless the story I want to tell is mine and mine alone.

Each of us have our own ideas and interests that excite us. I think that when we write these things our enthusiasm shows on the page. Consider this when you're deciding what it is that you want to write. Sales are well and good but keep in mind there is no guarantee that just because you write in a genre that your book will be a hit. Luck, promotion, and word of mouth play a huge role in this; something you can't control. What you can control is what you put out there for the world to enjoy.

Just something to think about.

I hope you all have a wonderful holiday season! Here's your eye-candy of the week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment